There are 6 issues published each year by Scholastic Art magazine, an art magazine for middle school and high school students though there is lesson plans for elementary school also. This last years issues were:
- How to Read Art: featuring David Hockney, Georgia O’Keeffe, Diego Rivera Kehinde Wiley
- Working with Ideas: The Art of the Campaign
- Working with Light: featuring Edward Hopper
- Working with Form & Function: Objects from World Cultures
- Working with Value: Ansel Adams
- Painting Right Now: featuring Kerry James Marshall, Nijideka Akunyill Crosby, Li Shurui, Katharina Grosse
- You and your students can read the whole magazine online and if you have a class set of iPads, like we do at Riverview Middle, students can read Scholastic Art magazine on their iPad.
- The page titled web link in each digital issue gives students the opportunity to delve deeper and get more information about something they discovered in their Scholastic Art magazine.
- Careers in art, that is on the last page of every issue of Scholastic Art magazine, should be the cover of every issue!! I've learned about careers in art that I never knew about and it's great to expose students to what is out there, what education they need, if they decide to make a career in art.
Scholastic Art magazine is an art magazine for middle school and high school with lot's of pictures. I don't know of any other art magazine like it.
- I find it is the best way to introduce students to what is currently going on in art in the 21st century every couple of months with the latest magazine issue. That alone makes it invaluable.
- I like the digital edition, videos, iPad app, careers in art and the web link page. The students I teach have no idea what is going on in art except through the field trips we take each year.
I use the worksheets and older magazines for when I need a substitute lesson also.
**To be entered in the drawing for a yearlong subscription for Scholastic Art magazine. Post a reply to this blog with your email address and how you use Scholastic Art magazine in your class by August 15th.
Prizing and samples provided by Scholastic.
Review samples provided by Scholastic.
I have partnered with Scholastic to bring you this giveaway.